1 - 06 - 2012
As I look outside today – it seems more like March than January…the warmer than average temperatures could easily lull our garden instincts into action….but really just enjoy the respite from garden chores…they will come soon enough.
I have a favorite garden blog spot called May Dreams Gardens – if it’s not on your list of garden blogs please check it out.
Carol has written a lovely article that will provide your inner gardener her secrets to Gardening Happiness… If you have time please read her blog on this…it is so charming! Here’s the short list of 5 secrets:
The Five Secrets to Achieving Happiness in Your Garden…
- The First Secret - Grow the plants you love
- The Second Secret – Size your garden for the resources you have
- The Third Secret – Buy Good Tools
- The Fourth Secret - Respect Mother Nature
- The Fifth Secret – Share Your Garden
Top Things to do in January
- The garden and seed catalogs will begin arriving in your mailbox, as well as other garden and outdoor living catalogs. It’s fun to see what’s new with the trends in these. Wayside Gardens will tempt us with new species and varieties. We can just file these away for now – enjoy this quiet month.
- Time to order bare root roses…best planted in February and March.
- Water if Mother Nature isn’t providing necessary rains.
- The very best time to prune trees and evergreens.
- As little as possible – you deserve a guilt-free break
Best of the Season
Beautiful Red Twig Dogwood – love to cut these for holiday arrangements
Deciduous Hollies laden with berries
My favorite holly – Nellie R. Stevens…the birds will devour the berries during January and February
Happy New Year & Happy Gardening!